The current Lowell Police Department was formed in 1949. It was reorganized under the city charter in 1960. Previous to 1949, the Village of Lowell was served by elected constables. In 1932, Officer Knapp, who may have been a Lowell police officer, Kent County deputy, was shot and killed in the village while trying to apprehend armed bank robbers fleeing from Grand Rapids.
The current police force is comprised of 6 full-time officers, 6 part-time officers, two clerical staff and a school crossing guard. The department provides professional public safety services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The men and women of the Lowell Police Department are proud of our community and the service we provide to it.